Re: Where is the Xorg.conf - to setup XKB layouts on Squeeze?

On 6/6/10, Paul Chany <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> xorg.conf accepts the following server flags:
>>
>> Section "ServerFlags"
>>         Option  "AutoAddDevices"        "False"
>>         Option  "AllowEmptyInput"       "False"
>> EndSection
>>
>> If you have them, then you must specify the keyboard and mouse
>> configurations on xorg.conf, and xorg won't autodetect them through
>> whether hal or udev, but only will use what is specified under
>> xorg.conf.
>>
>> I've been using this to keep inmune to all the changes happening
>> around xorg and autodetection (and to prevent using hal)...
>>
>> So I haven't had the need to go configure anything else than
>> xorg.conf...  Perhaps it's time to take a look at
>> /etc/defaults/keyboard (I never had), :-)
>
> Now when I have beside /etc/default/keyboard
> ***
> XKBMODEL="pc105"
> XKBLAYOUT="hu,hr,cs"
> XKBVARIANT="nodeadkeys"
> XKBOPTIONS=""
> ***
>
> the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file too
> ***
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>         Driver      "kbd"
>         Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
>         Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
>         Option      "XkbLayout" "hu,hr,cs"
>         Option      "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
> EndSection
> ***
>
> I try out that that I rename xorg.conf so Xorg not to find it at start
> and keep the /etc/default/keyboard file only. After I rebooted I get the
> multi layout XWindow system wit Hungaruan, Croatian and Serbian Cyrillic
> languages.
>
> However I have installed hal but that isn't necessary to get this setup
> to work, right?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Paul Chany

Well I don't know.  it depends on the Xorg version you have.  Some
time back autodetection was using hal for that purpose.  Newer Xorg
uses udev.  If the Xorg you're using relies on hal, you need it (I
presume you can try uninstalling, then if it's not a dependency things
will still work, and if it it, you'll have to reinstall it, perhaps
even xorg-server will uninstall if hal is a dependency)...

If you use the flags, then Xorg won't use hal neither any other kind
of autodetection mechanism, just whatever is in xorg.conf...  So
whether hal is installed and daemon started or not, is of no concern
for Xorg while using the flags.

>> Section "ServerFlags"
>>         Option  "AutoAddDevices"        "False"
>>         Option  "AllowEmptyInput"       "False"
>> EndSection

That's just a way to prevent autodetection to get in your way if you
don't want it, :-)

--
Javier.