Re: Buffer I/O error on device ... logical block ...

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 16:40:15 +0000, Albretch Mueller wrote:

> ~
>  I have some 1980 data on DVDs I would like to back up to a hard drive
> ~
>  The data itself is apparently mounted read only and I can access and
> see it with no problems
> ~
>  The thing is that when I try to copy it to my hard drive large files
> are not being copied (only smaller ones) and this is what I see when I
> run dmesg
> ~
> Code:

(...)

> sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Read of scrambled sector without authentication

(...)

> How can I troubleshoot this problem?

Check if that gives you any hint:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/cannot-play-encrypted-dvds-with-any-player-783283/

Also, some encrypted DVD prevent copying the files in the standard
manner. IIRC, for dealing with such media I had to first make an
ISO image with the DVD files and then mount the ISO image to access its
content... but that was long time ago (1/2 years), not sure if this will
work nowadays.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón