Re: converting home network to IPv6; ppp, IPv6, dsnmasq and iptables

On 06/06/10 05:01 AM, Antonio Perez wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>
> You don't need to assign different blocks to each NIC, all your network
> needs only one block of addresses. It is, however, a good idea, security
> wise, to keep them apart.

hmmm.

>> So, I had to assign address from HEX2:bb00::/56 range. One network was
>> eth1 (HEX2:bb00::) and another was eth0 (HEX2:bb01::). Basically, the
>> two NICs in the same machine need to be on different IPv6 networks ...
>> same as in IPv4 (Doh!).
>
> Not really.

Okay. Clearly, I am yet to understand this IPv6 stuff better.

>> Now, do the above observations mean I am now correctly using my IPv6
>> networking and ppp connection given by my ISP? Also, what is the
>> HEX2::/64 address given to me by my ISP for?
>
> The only thing which is really missing in your setup is firewall. Iptables
> has a dual personality (reflecting the dual stack devices), there is the
<SNIP>
> Also be sure to set a firewall for IPv6, remember that IPv6 is independent
> of IPv4 and allows external computers to connect to your systems, even
> behind the "Debian router":
> 	http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ip6tables-ipv6-firewall-for-linux/
> 	http://www.exp-networks.be/blog/ipv6-firewall/
> http://www.debian-administration.org/article/Is_your_firewall_IPv6_aware
>
> This programs for firewall setting in debian may be of help:
> 	http://wiki.debian.org/Firewalls
> Shorewall seems to be a good choice.

Thanks for all these pointers. I need to get my fundamentals regarding
IPv6 straight.

I was also ready looking around for an IPv6 firewall. For my IPv4
setting, I use my own custom written iptables script. For IPv6, I will
start with Shorewall, based on your suggestion.

Thanks, again.
Regards.

ever having been read.