Re: converting home network to IPv6; ppp, IPv6, dsnmasq and iptables

On 05/06/10 01:56 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> H.S. put forth on 6/4/2010 11:06 PM:
>
>> Can somebody help in this problem?
>
> Yes, I can.  Disable dhcp6.  You've already bound a static IPv6 address to
> eth1 but you didn't configure a gateway address.  Configure a correct IPv6
> gateway address for eth1.  This should have been provided by your ISP along
> with the static IPv6 addresses.  If not, ask them for it.

Apparently, no gateway is being given out. But I am still trying to
clear that up. However ...

> Once you have done these things and restarted your interfaces, test IPv6
> functionality from the firewall host itself, using ping, tracert, etc.  Don't
> bother testing IPv6 routing or NAT until you've verified you can ping a remote
> internet host over IPv6 directly from eth1.  After you've confirmed that you
> can tackle LAN host IPv6 issues, if any exist.

... I can ping now:
> ping6 ipv6.google.com
PING ipv6.google.com(iad04s01-in-x63.1e100.net) 56 data bytes
64 bytes from iad04s01-in-x63.1e100.net: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=75.8 ms
64 bytes from iad04s01-in-x63.1e100.net: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=74.8 ms
^C
--- ipv6.google.com ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1000ms

traceroute6 also work via all the IPv6 intermediate addresses.

What I have now is the following:

1)
Addresses given by my ISP:
HEX1::/64
HEX2::/56

2)
#for IPv6 config
iface eth0 inet6 static
        address HEX1::01
        netmask 64
        network HEX1::

#for IPv6 config <--- this might be wrong though
iface eth1 inet6 static
        address HEX2::01
        netmask 64
        network HEX2::

3)
I also have the "+ipv6" option in my dsl-provider file to be used when I
make an ADSL connection.

4)
And added the route:
$> sudo route --inet6 add default dev ppp0

So, looks like IPv6 is working on my router machine, and this by
assigning a fixed IPv6 address to my eth1 (from HEX1::64) and by
assigning HEX2::64 to eth0 (that connects to my LAN switch). But I
cannot yet ping6 from a LAN host.

Another question. I think I am not understanding the assignment of IPv6
subnets and addresses here. As in IPv4 we cannot have multiple nics in a
computer on the same network, is this the same in IPv6 as well?

Thanks.

ever having been read.