Re: date bug?

On 06/01/2010 01:41 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
[snip]

Section 6.30, General Rule 6b of the same document reads:

"If, after the preceding step, any<primary datetime field>  of the result is
outside the permissible range of values for the field or the result is invalid
based on the natural rules for dates and times, then an exception condition is
raised: data exception — datetime field overflow."

I'd love to have someone confirm or dispute my reading based on the text of
the standard (or the publicly available draft).  However, it seems a
conforming SQL system (RDBMS or not) should give you an error.  (It may not be
entirely friendly, but any other behavior will be hard to reason about because
of inconsistencies.)

That's why whomever came up with the complete idiocy of breaking up 52 weeks into 12 irregularly-sized months, days starting in the middle of the night and years in the middle of winter, should br brought behind the barn and flayed alive.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?