Re: date bug?

On Tuesday 01 June 2010 14:32:26 Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/01/2010 01:41 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > (It may
> > not be entirely friendly, but any other behavior will be hard to reason
> > about because of inconsistencies.)
>
> That's why whomever came up with the complete idiocy of breaking up
> 52 weeks into 12 irregularly-sized months, days starting in the
> middle of the night and years in the middle of winter, should br
> brought behind the barn and flayed alive.

I think it was a collective work and that most of the key figures are long
since dead.

I'm open to suggestions on changing it, but there seems to be quite a bit of
momentum behind the current system.  In addition, we are already working with
an astronomical clock that's not synced.  (Really?  365.2425 days per year --
what exactly are the prime factors of that again?)

I vote for 25 hour days that start as soon as the midpoint of Sol crosses the
"ideal" horizon.  The duration of a second might need to change.  Ideally the
number of seconds per hour would remain a square number; it's root would
remain the number of seconds per minute and minutes per hour.

I vote for months that start on the first day after a "new moon".  They'll
have 28-29 days, so we'll have about 13 of them a year, but New Year's Day
will drift a bit.  (Why should January have all the fun, anyway?)