Re: xorg.conf for nvidia binary drivers interfering with xorg.conf for vnc4server

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 12:30:28 -0400, Mitchell Laks wrote:

> On 11:20 Tue 01 Jun     , Camaleón wrote:

>> I would look first at the origin of the failure, I mean, why
>> "vnc4server" cannot run with your current "xorg.conf" file. Logs will
>> tell.

(...)

> Note the following recent (yeterday) bug report on vnc4server

> vnc4server: breaks if /etc/X11/xorg.conf generated by X -configure is
> present
>
> this is exactly my problem.....

Interesting... do you see the same error message?:

"Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'"

> Now he is being mislead (in my opinion) because he thinks that the
> random error message about some font is the cause, instead of being a
> regular feature of Xorg logs, that I have learned to ignore (at my
> peril?).

Mmmm, you can make a test. Just comment (#) those lines about font paths
in your "xorg.conf" file *but* keep nvidia settings intact. Then, try to
launch "vnc4server".

> The main error is as he stated
> vnc4server: breaks if /etc/X11/xorg.conf generated by X -configure is
> present not the rest of his bug report....

I'm not sure. It could be that "vnc4server" just "erroneously" quits when
finds something it doesn't like in the the "xorg.conf" file.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón