Re: Numeric panel on keyboard is no longer recognized

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 09:25:31 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Since I played accidently with `Hot keys' or something like that (I do
>> not remember exactly their name, but the fact is that I pushed the `maj'
>> key four times and that it launched something related to keys and
>> GNOME), my numeric panel on my keyboard is no longer recognized. Why?
>
> Mmm... I suppose you already care about the "num. lock" switch/button is
> "on", right? :-)
Yes, sure.

>> Alternatively, some programs now render what I type just as if I was in
>> QWERTY mode, but I am in AZERTY mode (.xorg.conf and GNOME's keyboard
>> utility tell it to me). What can I do? This is really annoying.
>
> Dive into GNOME keyboard settings (keyboard layout, language, model and
> options) and if necessary, setup them again. Then, relogin, just in
> case.
Actually (I should have specified it before), nothing changes it. This
is really really weird. Well, let's explain it a bit more: if I go to
System > Preferences > Keyboard, and then tick Belgium, the zone where
you can try your keyboard writes what I type as if I was in AZERTY
mode. 'Looks nice, as it is what I want. But when I leave (using
`Close') this window, some apps are in QWERTY, and others are in
AZERTY. For example, I might even start FF (Iceweasel, more
precisely), type an URL in AZERTY, and then, trying to select some
text on a webpage using Ctrl-A, Iceweasel will close, because A is Z
in QWERTY. So, it changed after some seconds. Moreover, when my
password screen comes, after some screensaver, I can type my password
(just as before), but it is written `Belz' at the place of `Bel'. I
don't know what is `Belz' but it looks like some special QWERTY config
for Belgium, as I then need to type Alt Gr + some number on the
keyboard to write down a keyboard, when it was written normally if I
was using the numeric panel, or simply Maj + these numbers.

Sometimes, everything then comes in AZERTY (even the password's window
after the screensaver), but sometimes not. Also, sometimes, the config
windows (Sys > Pref > Keyboard, as aforementioned) lets me type
characters as if I was in QWERTY, even if Belgium is well-selected
(ticked). I am not using some prog called `ScKey', `ScPlus' or whatever I do not
remember whose name, which was aiming at using different character
layouts (cyrillic, etc.) on this computer (I tested it with other
computers, though).

Everything seems to happen since I have pressed 4 or 5 times the MAJ
key, which then let GNOME ask me if I wanted to use soft keys. I do
not know soft keys are, but I do not need any accessibility facility,
because I have no handicap. It must have messed up with my settings,
in some way that I am still misunderstanding. Any idea? Hope I'm
clear. Thanks, though.

- --
Merciadri Luca
- --

You don't stop laughing because you grow old;  you grow old because
 you stop laughing. (Michael Pritchard)