Re: businesscard CD as rescue CD Tutorial?

On Mon, 31 May 2010 19:31:39 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> I'm thinking that there is a lot of worry on this list about booting a
> squeeze system with grub2. My boot rescue skills were never very great,
> but now are really quite rusty. And my rescus CD dates from 2-3 years
> ago.

I always have at my side a copy of SGB (supergrubdisk) and System Rescue
CD.

> I have and use a businesscard CD for installing Squeeze, and I see
> a menu entry on it that purports to provide rescue functions. But... I'd
> like to read some tutorial material before I get into trouble.
> Suggestions, anyone? What are the likely causes of failure to boot with
> grub2? What actions can be taken to fix things when one boots from a
> rescue disk? etc.

There is a little explanation about rescue system at:

8.7. Recovering a Broken System
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s07.html.en

Anyway, I agree with the wise advice can be read at the bottom of the
page:

"(...) Finally, note that repairing broken systems can be difficult, and
this manual does not attempt to go into all the things that might have
gone wrong or how to fix them. If you have problems, consult an expert."

When a system breaks, there can be many causes and many configurations to
take into account before start making things.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón