RE: Unable to connect to my home wireless

No.  But I did do an `aptitude full-upgrade` to be sure I got all of the KDE 4.4 bits.  It could be with a safe-upgrade that I would not have gotten network-manager.  The 'are you sure you want to do this' screen was very long and I should admit I did not go through it package by package to make sure nothing I didn't want was coming down.  :)

> wicd used to conflict with network-manager, but not anymore:
>
> wicd (1.6.2.2-2) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   [...]
>   * debian/control:
>     - remove Conflict on network-manager, since both can be used at
>       the same time, provided they don't try to control the same
>       interface (Closes: #548978)
>
> There may be valid use cases for this.

Hmm.  Maybe I should file a bug on one or both of them.  They were not trying to control the same interface, but they both thought they had the default route.  In some cases that could be very bad.

> I agree with you, but in this particular case it is not a
> 'Depends' it
> is a 'Recommends', and testing/unstable users should know how to
> override those.

Yeah, this gets back recommends being installed by default. (Or at least it appears to be that way to me.)  So logically, that makes them very similar to depends in my mind.  I had thought that:

APT::Install-Recommends "0";
APT::Install-Suggests "0";

was sufficient.  I don't spend a lot of time looking at apt internals though, so that solution may not be correct.

Anyway, it's not the end of the world.  I know how to recover from various things apt does to make life interesting, and I know that I'm not so special that when Debian disagrees with my opinions that I need to file bugs.  I was primarily responding to the suggestion that we should not complain on the mailing list.  :)

James