Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless

On Thu,20.May.10, 15:13:35, James Zuelow wrote:

> In Thomas' defense, I noticed the same thing and had much the same reaction.
>
> The Squeeze KDE 4.4 update this week pulled down network-manager as a
> dependency.  In my case I much prefer wicd to handle my wireless.

$ aptitude search '?depends(network-manager-kde)'
p   plasma-widget-networkmanagement-dbg                                - debugging symbols for KDE Network Management

Do you have this package installed?

> The update had them both running simultaneously, which I didn't like
> at all.  I was plugged into my wired network, which wicd had set up as
> default, and network-manger connected to one of the wireless networks
> I had configured.  Both interfaces up, even two default routes.  Yuk.
>
> I didn't like the fact that the KDE update ignored my current install
> of wicd to install network-manager, and when I purged network-manager
> KDE worked (and continues to work) just fine.

wicd used to conflict with network-manager, but not anymore:

wicd (1.6.2.2-2) unstable; urgency=low

  [...]
  * debian/control:
    - remove Conflict on network-manager, since both can be used at
      the same time, provided they don't try to control the same
      interface (Closes: #548978)

There may be valid use cases for this.

> So the "dependency" on network-manager seems to be merely a preference
> of the KDE team.  To me that means I should not have seen
> network-manager if I already had wicd installed.  This is very similar
> to the various packages that insist they need avahi-daemon to work,
> and yet purging avahi-daemon doesn't break anything not using mDNS.

You could file a whishlist bug on these:

$ aptitude search '?recommends(network-manager-kde)'
p   education-standalone                                               - Debian Edu standalone workstation packages
p   kde-standard                                                       - the KDE Plasma Desktop and standard set of applications
p   knm-runtime                                                        - KDE NetworkManagement infrastructure runtime files
p   network-manager                                                    - network management framework daemon

so they

Recommend: network-manager-kde | wicd-gtk

Unfortunately there is no wicd-qt package and I doubt the KDE
maintainers will want to 'Recommend' a GTK package, especially since it
isn't that hard to override.

> So while Thomas could file a bug, I don't think it's not germane to
> complain about DDs putting everything under the sun into a dependency
> list.  Here's the place for the community to decide whether we really
> need to force an install of network-manager (or avahi) when they're
> not really needed, or decide that because some cases might require it
> everyone should have it.

I agree with you, but in this particular case it is not a 'Depends' it
is a 'Recommends', and testing/unstable users should know how to
override those.

Regards,
Andrei