Re: Linux Zimbra front ends - was Re: Kde 3.5 ... (Maybe OT)

On Fri, 2010-05-07 at 06:46 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Thu,06.May.10, 22:36:43, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>
> > For a web client, it is outstanding, but it still has serious
> > limitations to be an Outlook replacement and we are looking to replace
> > many thousands of Outlook installations with this project.  We need to
> > offer them a near replacement.  A web client is too slow and awkward for
> > the heavy use we are seeing.  Thanks, though - John
> >
> > PS - I hope you don't mind the change of subject but I didn't want to
> > hijack the thread - John
>
> Hello,
>
> If at all possible it would be very nice to have at least a blog post
> about this migration as I'm guessing Outlook + Exchange is still a show
> stopper for many corporates to switching to FLOSS.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei
Yes, as someone who has promoted casual use of Linux desktops for a
decade, it has been a major disappointment to see the mail struggles in
our first major foray into business desktop replacement.  Replacing
Exchange has not been a problem but replacing Outlook has been.
Honestly, the blame does not lie all in one place.  It is the
interaction between the client solutions (Kontact/Evolution) and the
Exchange replacement (Zimbra in our case).  I'm hoping we do not need to
replace Zimbra with something else that interacts better as we really do
like Zimbra and think the recent VMWare acquisition will make it even
better.  Thanks - John