Re: Q abt ssh, sshfs, and Stale NFS file handle

On 20100404_090140, Alexander Samad wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 3:23 AM, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> > I have debian (lenny and squeeze) running on several hosts that
> > are interconnected via ethernet. I sit at the console of one
> > and use ssh and sshfs to control operations on the others.
> >
> [snip]
>
> > cmpq:~# ls -l /media/WDP-5/mystuff/arxiv_5/arxiv/asof/
> > ls: cannot access /media/WDP-5/mystuff/arxiv_5/arxiv/asof/20091025_010711: Stale NFS file handle
> > total 4
> > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 20100402_083812 00nullbk
> > d????????? ? ?    ?       ?               ? 20091025_010711
> >
> > I do not get this message when I view the same directory using sshfs.
> > The sshfs response to a similar command indicates that there is no
> > such directory as the one whose name begins with 200...
> >
> > Restarting the nfs-common on the controlling host does not fix the
> > problem. Is the problem actually on the controlling host? My
> > understanding of sshfs is that it is built on top of ssh. How can it
> > be clearing its hidden cache(s) when ssh does not? I'd rather not have
> > to reboot the host where I sit.
>
> Can I suggest mount nfs with udp instead of tcp, that might help.

My question seems to have been poorly phrased. I don't use NFS at
all, only ssh (and sshfs). I don't know what software sends the
error message. Since I don't have NFS installed. I did have the
package nfs-common installed by mistake, but purging it had no
effect on the observed situation. Also rebooting both computers
does not suppress the message. I'm currently working on the theory
that the ext3 file system(s) have been corrupted, but not sure this
will help. Doing fsck surely can't hurt, so I'm doing it.

Thanks.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net