/var/log/messages(dmesg) ?

Dear All
My Debian server got hung and when I tried to power cycle it , I checked its /var/log/messages & /var/log/dmesg with respect to the time of fault occurance to see what was really happened . But its 'messages' log does not show anything recorded for about 30 minutes before its recovery after power cycling . Can you please let me know where is I can check to find the root cause of failure ?
Thank you