Re: /var/log/messages(dmesg) ?

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:41:04AM +0000, Hadi Motamedi
wrote:
> My Debian server got hung and when I tried to power cycle
> it , I checked its /var/log/messages & /var/log/dmesg with
> respect to the time of fault occurance to see what was
> really happened . But its 'messages' log does not show
> anything recorded for about 30 minutes before its recovery
> after power cycling . Can you please let me know where is
> I can check to find the root cause of failure ?

Well, whether or not the root cause would be logged depends
on a lot of factors, but you might find /var/log/kern.log
useful in a lot of situations.

See /etc/syslog.conf (or /etc/rsyslog.conf if you are using
rsyslog) to see what types of syslog messages get logged to
what files.