Re: 1 last line from upgrade to squeeze

Sjoerd Hardeman <sjoerd@lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

>>   Current status: 8 broken [+8], 713 updates [-131].
>>
>> What does that line mean.  Do I need to investigate and fix whatever
>> there are 8 broken of?
> It means that eight packages have unmet dependencies. This is likely
> because some leftover packages from lenny require packages that are no
> longer available in squeeze. Use the aptitude ui to see which packages
> are broken, or do a
>  aptitude search ~b
> to get a list. This you can then fix.
>>
>> And the last item [-131] ... does it mean that -131 pkgs were
>> unaffected or that I have -131 useless pkgs or ...
> That 131 packages were upgraded, and the other 713 were not. This is
> likely related to the 8 broken packages. This will require some manual
> effort to fix the stuff.

First off, where do you get the information?  Just accumulated
experience or is the output of aptitude discussed at length somewhere?

The 8 broken ones are a sort of mishmash of useless and some necessary:

  aptitude search ~b
 B A libcompress-zlib-perl     - Transitional dummy package for Compress::Z
 B A libice-dev                - X11 Inter-Client Exchange library (develop
 B   perl-doc                  - Perl documentation
 B   perl-modules              - Core Perl modules
 B A xserver-xorg-core         - Xorg X server - core server
 B A xsrvr-xorg-input-synaptics- Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server
 B A xserver-xorg-video-intel  - X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display
 B A xserver-xorg-video-radeon - X.Org X server -- ATI Radeon display drive

This install of debian is a vmware guest so the video card is svga
No need of touch pads at all

What might be required to get this cleaned up, and end up with a
`clean' squeeze install?