Re: Automatically remounting CIFS share

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 5:07 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
Scott Gifford put forth on 2/16/2010 2:41 PM:

[ ... ]

> Is there a way to get similar behavior from a CIFS server, where a rebooted
> fileserver will automatically be remounted when it comes back?

Stop rebooting the NAS.  If it has some kind of problem that requires frequent
reboots to fix, update the firmware.  If that doesn't solve the problems,
replace it with a better NAS, or build your own Debian Samba server.

Fix the problem instead of trying to mask the symptoms.  A good NAS should have
uptimes in months or years, not hours days or weeks.

Yes, that would be better of course, but the servers are located in a country where power can be a bit unreliable, and we are still working out kinks in our generator and UPS, which is mostly what causes the problem.

And even so, having multiple layers of reliability is a goal I like to try for.  I'm surprised it's at all tricky, with NFS it just sort of happens automatically, at least in my experience.

----Scott.