Re: A tool for auto amplifying of wav/flac files.

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 12:49PM +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Then it is not what I wanna do - I want to change the file itself so that ANY player might read it the way I want, and of course, it should be lossless still.
>
> --c8ef04c7bbaf635f1cced39b63a1f635

What I'd do in a case like that is something like this:

# decode all the flacs to wav:
find /path/to/flacdir/ -type f -name '*.flac' -execdir flac -d \{\} \;

# turn the volume up or down to achieve maximum volume on each
# individual file without distortion:
find /path/to/flacdir/ -type f -name '*.wav' -execdir normalize-audio --peak \{\} \;

# delete all the old flac files
find /path/to/flacdir/ -type f -name '*.flac' -delete

# re-encode to flac, deleting the wav only if the encoding is verified
# correctly (--verify):
find /path/to/flacdir/ -type f -name '*.wav' -execdir flac --best --delete-input-file --verify \{\} \;

Of course you could elaborate a bit on this to get it all on one
line. If you have lots of files it's gonna take a while. I don't think
there's a version of normalize-audio which operates on flacs directly
but if there is I'd be interested in knowing where to get it...

The above commands work perfect for me and I think that should do
exactly what you want. - Be careful with deleting the original files
though until you've tested the quality, volume, etc. of the results...

Hope that helps.

Cheerio

Sebastian

--
Duct tape is like the force.  It has a light side, and a dark side, and
it holds the universe together ...