Re: auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

In <[🔎] 5quq37-nql.ln1@ppp121-45-136-118.lns11.adl6.internode.on.net>, Arthur
Marsh wrote:
>Camaleón wrote, on 04/02/10 03:05:
>>>
>>> As I just posted in another message in this thread, I'd like the USB
>>> flash drive to be automatically mounted after fsck if the drive is
>>> present at boot-up and automatically mounted without fsck if plugged in
>>> after the machine is booted.
>>
>> As said, if you list the USB device in fstab, the system will try to
>> mount it on every boot, whether is plugged or not.
>>
>>> I would also like the machine to boot fully if it is started without the
>>> USB flash drive present.
>>
>> That should not happen at all (if the disk is not present it should log a
>> warn, but the system should keep loading). It can be a bug.
>
>The response I received to
>http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=568200 suggest that the
>responder thinks that running fsck on a non-existent device is the
>proper behaviour /-:.

I tend to agree.  /etc/fstab is for static file systems, where "static" means
"always present in always the same location".  I don't want any of my file
systems in /etc/fstab to simply be "skipped" because their device isn't
present -- I want a *LOUD* warning.

Exceptions -- file systems I don't want checked get a passno of 0; file
systems I don't want mounted get noauto flag.

IMHO, you are using /etc/fstab wrong and you'd better suited to using some
other method of fscking and mounting.  Udev can run a command as soon as the
device node is available, but be aware that udev blocks until the command is
complete.