Re: Kerneloops on clean install

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 04:25:13 -0500 (EST), Sjors van der Pluijm wrote:
> I'm reinstalling a system that has been running debian for at least 2 years.
> Installation goes fine, but while doing an upgrade to squeeze it gives me
> kerneloops (see attached document). I seriously doubt this is a software
> problem. The system occasionally freezes and kernel panics occur.
>
> Any idea where to look?
>
> Thanks

This is going to sound silly; but don't laugh, it sometimes works.
I used to have a computer that worked fine for about six months,
then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, it just wouldn't boot.
It would get a SCSI error during POST and just wouldn't boot.
I took the cover off, removed all the disk drives and expansion
adapters, cleaned everything thoroughly, put it back together again,
and it worked fine.  It would be good for about another six months.
Then the same thing would happen again.  And again, another good
cleaning solved the problem.

In your case, you might also want to remove, clean, and re-seat the
memory chips too.  Just make sure that there is no moisture present
before you reassemble everything.  Everything must be clean and
dry.  It can't hurt.  And it might help.  Maybe you'll be lucky.