Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2010 #199

On Tue,  2 Feb 2010 15:47:37 +0000 (UTC)

> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 03:42:57PM +0200, Aioanei Rares
> wrote:
> > A more practical approach : what should the average user
> > do in order to get his/her Debian back after this GRUB
> > bug?
>
> Stick to stable in future, that's what.

I don't think that's very helpful.  I would have stuck with stable
but had hardware issues which forced me to use unstable.  They were
kernel related, so maybe I could install stable, upgrade a newer
kernel, etc...

To answer the original question, I perused the debian bug-list and a
thoughtful person posted a relatively thorough procedure on how to
recover.  It goes something like:

boot netinst

enter "rescue"

chroot to make the mounted partition, i.e. my root partition, /

apt-get is now available

using my _other_ computer download the old, working version of grub

re-install old working version

reboot :-)

My new plan was to install lilo.  Really, if you can use it, you
should.  It's much easier to understand and use.