Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2010 #199

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 07:54:37PM -0800, briand@aracnet.com
wrote:
> I don't think that's very helpful.  I would have stuck
> with stable but had hardware issues which forced me to use
> unstable.  They were kernel related, so maybe I could
> install stable, upgrade a newer kernel, etc...

You're right, it's somewhat facetious for which I apologise.
My point (which I stand by, even if the way in which I
explained it I do not) is if you use unstable, prepare to be
bitten. I don't have a problem with people asking for help
when they get stuck, but a lot of people seem to be frankly
whining about the grub migration which is unreasonable if
they are running a development branch.  Things break in sid
so that they don't do in stable.

> re-install old working version

This helps you out, for now, but it doesn't help the grub2
maintainers improve the migration process to make it more
tolerable.  Also when grub is removed from Debian, which it
will be, you will go through this all over again.

> My new plan was to install lilo.  Really, if you can use
> it, you should.  It's much easier to understand and use.

Lilo has too many shortcomings for it to be a viable
solution for most people. However, if it works for you,
great!

--
Jon Dowland