Re: Mplayer - can it play audio cd's.........

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 22:11:04 -0500 (EST) Stephen Powell
<zlinuxman@wowway.com> shared this with us all:

>On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 21:35:39 -0500 (EST), Charlie wrote:
>> Now I have sound working, though I might listen to an audio CD. Yeah
>> right. Missing something again. Can't get an audio CD playing with
>> Totem.
>>
>> I've never used Mplayer but though it can read hardrive audio files
>> and play them it can't play audio CD's or won't mount them on my
>> system, and being audio files I can't manually mount them either.
>>
>> Googled and found some stuff, but nothing that would help.
>>
>> Using Debian Squeeze 2.6.32-trunk-686
>>
>> $ mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/media/cdrom1 cdda://track1
>>
>> gives this error message:
>>
>> MPlayer SVN-r30075 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
>> Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
>> Can't init input joystick
>> mplayer: could not connect to socket
>> mplayer: No such file or directory
>> Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
>> control.
>>
>> Playing cdda://track1.
>> The start option must be an integer: track1
>> Option hostname: Error while parsing m_span parameter start (track1)
>> Struct cdda, field hostname parsing error: track1
>> Can't open CDDA device.
>> Failed to open cdda://track1.
>>

>> Exiting... (End of file)
>>
>> Could anyone please let me know what I might put into
>> ~/.mplayer/config to possibly make this work?
>
>I'm no expert on mplayer.  In fact, I don't think I've ever used it.
>But it looks to me like it's trying to do something with your joystick!
>Don't ask me why.
>
>Personally, I like cdplay.  It's part of the cdtool package.
>It's also a command line tool.  The thing I like most about cdplay
>is that it's extremely efficient.  It just sends the "play" command
>to the CD drive and then terminates.  The CD drive itself does the
>digital to analog conversion itself and sends an analog audio signal
>directly to your sound card.  No digital data is transferred across
>the bus.
>
>Most modern media players "rip"
>the audio data from the CD drive as digital data and then send it to
>the sound card.  That gives you more flexibility if you want to
>extract audio to your hard drive.  But if all you want to do is listen
>to a music CD, cdplay is an excellent tool.  It does require that
>there be an audio cable between your CD drive and your sound card,
>though.  And the CD channel in Alsamixer must be unmuted and turned
>up.  Since this is an analog input signal, it may not be adjustable by
>the master volume control, depending on your audio chipset.  The CD
>volume control may operate independently of the master volume control.
>
>Other useful commands in the cdtool package are cdstop, cdeject,
>etc.

Thanks Stephen,

It comes up in my search as:

wmcdplay

and I have an Acer laptop that I use as a desktop [we only have solar
power] so not certain there is a cable connection? Usually not included
in laptops I think, but will give it a larrup.

Thank you,
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

I had three chairs in my house; one for solitude, two for friendship,
three for society. ....Henry David Thoreau