Re: Mplayer - can it play audio cd's.........

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 21:35:39 -0500 (EST), Charlie wrote:
> Now I have sound working, though I might listen to an audio CD. Yeah
> right. Missing something again. Can't get an audio CD playing with
> Totem.
>
> I've never used Mplayer but though it can read hardrive audio files and
> play them it can't play audio CD's or won't mount them on my system,
> and being audio files I can't manually mount them either.
>
> Googled and found some stuff, but nothing that would help.
>
> Using Debian Squeeze 2.6.32-trunk-686
>
> $ mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/media/cdrom1 cdda://track1
>
> gives this error message:
>
> MPlayer SVN-r30075 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
> Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
> Can't init input joystick
> mplayer: could not connect to socket
> mplayer: No such file or directory
> Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
> control.
>
> Playing cdda://track1.
> The start option must be an integer: track1
> Option hostname: Error while parsing m_span parameter start (track1)
> Struct cdda, field hostname parsing error: track1
> Can't open CDDA device.
> Failed to open cdda://track1.
>

> Exiting... (End of file)
>
> Could anyone please let me know what I might put into ~/.mplayer/config
> to possibly make this work?

I'm no expert on mplayer.  In fact, I don't think I've ever used it.
But it looks to me like it's trying to do something with your joystick!
Don't ask me why.

Personally, I like cdplay.  It's part of the cdtool package.
It's also a command line tool.  The thing I like most about cdplay
is that it's extremely efficient.  It just sends the "play" command
to the CD drive and then terminates.  The CD drive itself does the
digital to analog conversion itself and sends an analog audio signal
directly to your sound card.  No digital data is transferred across
the bus.

Most modern media players "rip"
the audio data from the CD drive as digital data and then send it to the
sound card.  That gives you more flexibility if you want to extract audio
to your hard drive.  But if all you want to do is listen to a music
CD, cdplay is an excellent tool.  It does require that there be an audio
cable between your CD drive and your sound card, though.  And the CD
channel in Alsamixer must be unmuted and turned up.  Since this is
an analog input signal, it may not be adjustable by the master volume
control, depending on your audio chipset.  The CD volume control may
operate independently of the master volume control.

Other useful commands in the cdtool package are cdstop, cdeject,
etc.