Re: [SOLVED] wicd fails to start after upgrade

In <[🔎] 20100202014934.GA11127@herbx.tri>, Sebastian wrote:
>I ended up backing up my most important conf-files and home dirs and
>re-installing Lenny from netinst. Then I pulled in wicd and another
>few things from backports. At the end I added testing to the
>sources.list as I do my bookkeeping using ledger which isn't in
>backports and I didn't manage to compile from source either and set up
>apt-pinning to prefer stable, followed by the backports and with
>testing with very low pinning-priority at the end so that packages
>installed from backports don't get automatically upgraded to the
>testing-versions.

While this has been successful for me, keep in mind that developers don't
really test packages that are in testing to see how well / if they run with
any / all of their dependencies satisfied with stable packages.  (If they *do*
that work, they generally prepare a version of the package for backports.)

Something similar can be said for stable package having their dependencies
satisfied by something from testing.  That means that a mixed stable / testing
system (or any mixture that involved both stable and testing) is only
marginally more supported than pulling packages from a non-official source.

This all means that it is possible to run into some unique breakage for your
mix of packages.  Bugs should only be filed when they can be found in a pure-
oldstable (security bugs only), pure-stable (RC or security bugs only), pure-
testing (only during a freeze; bugfixes should normally come through
unstable), or pure-unstable setting.

For reproducing bugs on one of those systems without dedicated hardware,
there's a number of virtualization / emulation technologies in the Debian
repositories.  Also, there is pbuilder (and variants like cowbuilder) to
automate the building of a minimal Debian environment (normally in a chroot).