Re: Netgear WG111 USB wifi adapter works with squeeze / gnome

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 08:53:28 -0800, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:

> Camaleon -- unfortunately the wifi / USB page you pointed me to
> specifies which chipsets work well with Debian, but not which devices
> you can buy at a store or on Amazon.

HCL lists are aimed to enumerate devices and their modules that work out-
of-the-box, have problems for setting up or that don't work at all. With
that information you can go then to the store and buy the device with a
little more confidence (not 100% but is better than nothing). So if your
device uses "intersil/prism" or "realtek" chipset and that chipset is
listed there and marked as "works/detected", then there are many chances
that it works fine.

> I was never able to figure out how
> to make use of that page as most vendors and retailers do not think that
> the chipset information is of vital importance to the buyer, hence it is
> obscure at the time of purchase.

True, that information is not always easy to find (not present even in
technical specs) but Google helps a lot here.

Anyway, I thought you were asking for a place where to put that your USB
dongle works fine so others users can benefit form that information :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón