Re: dumb question about gnash youtube-dl and watching youtube videos...

On 2010-12-29 14:01:31 +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> I installed clive and then tried this:
>
> ismikef@spc2-burn4-0-0-cust110:~$ clive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwDYbNIHyN0
>
> clive 0.4.18 20080715  [Linux]
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwDYbNIHyN0&fmt=18                       143.8KB
> warn: no-media: switched to low quality
> error: Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/clive", line 28, in <module>
>     Clive().main()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/clive/main.py", line 50, in main
>     Nomad().run(self.opts, self.args, self._say)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/clive/nomad.py", line 108, in run
>     self._check_raw_urls(raw_urls)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/clive/nomad.py", line 277, in _check_raw_urls
>     self._check_url(url, (index,len(raw_urls)))
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/clive/nomad.py", line 377, in _check_url
>     self._found_urls, self._get_proxy())
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/clive/parse.py", line 103, in parse
>     length = url_data['file_length_callb'](xurl)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/clive/nomad.py", line 422, in _callb_check_file_len
>     raise CliveNoMediaError # Try low quality
> CliveNoMediaError: error: no media (http/415)
>
> What is causing this?  Is it that the file is not available to
> download or there is too much traffic to get at the file?
>
> I tried downloading a different file and got a similar set of errors a
> while back.

It is not an error due to youtube, or too much traffic. That is a good
old-fashioned python error trace. It looks like an error in clive itself.

There is no problem with youtube or the video in question. I can retrieve
the video with no problem:

    cclive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwDYbNIHyN0
    fetch config ...done.
    verify video link ...done.
    youtube_FwDYbNIHyN0.flv     5%    1.7M / 34.6M

A few days ago, Pablo suggested that the version of clive in Lenny does
not work very well, but the version in backports works okay. So you will
want to try the version in backports.

    http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/clive

How to install things from backports has been discussed recently in
other threads.

I am no expert in clive, since I mostly use cclive. But one thing I know
is that you usually need to have a recent version, since places like
youtube are always tinkering with their protocol.

Hope this helps,

Phil