Re: dumb question about gnash youtube-dl and watching youtube videos...

Michael Fothergill wrote:
Dear Debian folks,

I tried getting flashplayer-nonfree to work with youtube but it didn't
quite succeed.  So I then read some web pages that said gnash could
read swf files and so you in theory download a youtube video and then
watch it using gnash.....

I found youtube-dl but then noticed it wasn't installed on Lenny (at
least man youtube-dl  doesn't result in anything) and it didn't seem
to be in the synaptic list.....   Is it a new package that is a
squeeze addition?   There does seem to be squeeze deb package for it
in the debian repository web pages.......

I have installed gnash and gstreamer.  I wanted to watch Jeremy Paxman
interviewing Christopher Hitchens who has recently contracted
oesphageal cancer.

Doing something like this:

gnash -u http://example.domain.com/flashfile.swf  or flashfile.flv etc

would be good but you need to figure out how to get a software
trufflehound to sniff at this sort of URL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwDYbNIHyN0 (or something similar) and
then find the .flv or .swf truffle that I am interested in pointing
gnash at.

Looks like youtube-dl would do this.

youtube-dl "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foobar"; or youtube-dl
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwDYbNIHyN0"; in my case.

If this would work I could avoid this non-free messing about and would
be quite contented.

Installing youtube-dl and running it on a video produces a copy of thhe video (.flv)

Pointing Mplayer at that produces a segfaullt (mplayer-nogui 2:1.0~rc3++svn20100804-0)

But pointing xine at that place it quite nicely (xine-ui 0.99.6-1)

Hugo