RE: PPTP Issues in Debian Testing/Squeeze

Hello Russell,

Thank you for your reply,

I have got the old firewall running (possibly briefly - I think the HD is nearly dead).

It still gets full speed on my Internet connection.

I do get 2 log messages in syslog, they are a pair:
Dec 27 16:25:26 XXXXOLD pptp[4373]: anon log[ctrlp_rep:pptp_ctrl.c:243]: Sent control packet type is 5 'Echo-Request'
Dec 27 16:25:26 XXXXOLD pptp[4373]: anon log[logecho:pptp_ctrl.c:659]: Echo Reply received.

I don't get any of the messages about buffering packets being lost or reordered.

ICMP type 5 is Source Route failed from RFC 792 (http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=792)

I don't seem to have any type 5 control packet logs in the new syslog.

I wonder if Shorewall is blocking these control packets, where the firewall in my old setup didn't?

My old Debian was Debian Sarge, release 3.1.  My old firewall was ipmasq.
My old kernel was 2.6.8-2-686.

My new Debian is Debian Testing/Squeeze.  My new firewall is Shorewall (4.4.11.6).
My new kernel is 2.6.32-5-amd64.

Regards,
Roland Rosier