Re: need motherboard recommendation

Russell L. Harris put forth on 12/26/2010 5:46 PM:

> If the problem indeed is in the video ram, am I correct in assuming
> that I should have no great concern regarding data integrity in the
> other systems of the motherboard?

I seriously doubt a DIMM is the problem.  I can physically see what you
describe with words, but it sure sound like an EMI/RFI issue, not the
hardware, _especially_ after swapping mobo guts twice.

> No, I did not know that.  I have been running Debian for ten years
> now, but I never have learned to use the logs.

.... If you now tell us you have used the windows event viewer I will
personally drive a wooden stake through your heart. ;)

> No, each monitor has its own cable.  And the lines (horizontal and
> vertical, red and green) do not appear with any other motherboard
> which I have attached to these monitors.

Cabling is likely irrelevant.

To fix your problem Russell:

1.  Remove the electric pencil sharpener and/or stapler from your desk
2.  If you have a florescent lamp/light remove it.
3.  Remove anything with an electric motor or transformer of any kind
    including charger bases for cell phones, cordless screwdrivers,
    VHS or other magnetic head recording device, etc, etc.

Get any/all of these things at least 10 feet away from the PC with the
problem.  If you still have the problem, take a table or chair outside
the building to the parking lot, an extension cord, and ONLY the PC, KB,
mouse, and monitor, and fire it up there in isolation.

If you still see the screen artifacts, find different employment, as
that office/site is dangerous.  :)

--
Stan