Re: need motherboard recommendation

* Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> [101226 13:35]:
> Russell L. Harris put forth on 12/26/2010 5:12 AM:
> > I am tossing into the dumpster the last two motherboards which I
> > purchased -- Asus M3A78-T (AMD64) and Asus P5Q-EM (i386) -- because of
> > video problems.
>
> Two?

Hi, Stan.  It really isn't so odd; after months (several weeks total
in transit) of messing around with the M3A78-T without success, I
decided to replace it; thus, the P5Q-EM.  I long have used Asus
boards, but (after a failure of the USB circuitry on yet another Asus
board) I think that the P5Q-EM is going to be my last one.

>> With the M3A78-T, the POST screen displayed a cross-hatch pattern
>> of horizontal and vertical red and green lines with a variety of
>> monitors, both CRT and LCD.  The pattern also is visible in
>> terminal mode outside of X.  Three trips back to Asus did not cure
>> the problem.

> Sounds more like a DDC problem with your monitor, which you didn't
> bother to mention.

Two different CRTs (iiyama and KDS XF-7G); two different LCD (NEC
1760NX).  It seems to me unlikely that the same symptom is seen with
all of these, unless the motherboard is at fault.  Of course, with the
P5Q-EM, the problem has to do with Xorg.

> Now would be a good time to provide us with the make and model# of
> your CRT/LCD monitor, what refresh setting you were using, color
> depth, etc.  It sounds like it may be a sync issue.

Again, the red and green lines with the M3A78-T are apparent even in
the POST displays.

Thankfully, with the P5Q-EM -- on which I just moments ago completed
the installation of Squeeze -- the installation of Squeeze solved the
problem!  X is working!

> This, assuming neither of these boards every worked with said
> monitor.  You didn't state a sequence of events, i.e. what failed
> when.  We need that information to help you.

Back to the M3A78-T:  Inasmuch as I generally turn on the machine then
grab a cup of coffee while it boots, I seldom notice the POST; X is
running when I sit down to log in.  And I seldom use terminal mode.
Consequently, I had been running the system for several months before
I noticed the red and green lines on the back background.  The lines
are thin and somewhat faint, but once you notice them they are very
apparent.

RLH