Re: lenny squeeze etc etc

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 06:41:54PM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Darac Marjal wrote:
> >>The companies spend billions hammering the code name/number for the next
> >>version into everyone's head before releasing it.  Despite never having
> >>used Windows even I know that Microsoft's current OS release is Windows
> >>7 and the the previous one was Vista.  I don't know what Apple calls
> >>their current version, though.
> >Apple are still on version 10. They same as it's been for the last 10 years.
> Wow.. it really has been that long.  OS X (10) was the shift to a
> Mach Kernel and BSD based platform.  Major releases (courtesy of
> WikiPedia):
>
>    * Mac OS X Public Beta
>      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Public_Beta> "Kodiak"
>    * Mac OS X v10.0 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.0> "Cheetah"
>    * Mac OS X v10.1 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.1> "Puma"
>    * Mac OS X v10.2 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.2> "Jaguar"
>    * Mac OS X v10.3 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.3> "Panther"
>    * Mac OS X v10.4 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.4> "Tiger"
>    * Mac OS X v10.5 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.5> "Leopard"
>    * Mac OS X v10.6 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.6> "Snow
>      Leopard" - current
>    * Mac OS X v10.7 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.7>
>      "Lion" - upcoming

Doesn't seem the best nomenclature. There is already duplication.  A panther
is a puma, jaguar, or leopard, depending on location.  They'll be in the
calicoes and tabbies soon enough, after bobcat and lynx.

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody