Re: dumb question about gnash youtube-dl and watching youtube videos...

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Celejar wrote:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 19:51:08 +0000
Michael Fothergill <michael.fothergill@googlemail.com> wrote:

Dear Debian folks,

I tried getting flashplayer-nonfree to work with youtube but it didn't
quite succeed.  So I then read some web pages that said gnash could
read swf files and so you in theory download a youtube video and then
watch it using gnash.....

As per another message in this thread, you absolutely don't need gnash
to watch a movie you've downloaded from YouTube; ordinary media players
will work fine.  All the movies I've downloaded from YouTube have been
either .flv or .mp4 files, both of which can be played by Mplayer, for
example.  YMMV depending on your specific movie player, but I wouldn't
bother with gnash.

/Thu Dec 23-09:05:15# mplayer E6ROSTqm2KQ.flv
MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.2.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
CPU: Advanced Micro Devices  (Family: 9, Stepping: 2)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
SSE supported but disabled
SSE2 supported but disabled
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx

Failed to open /dev/rtc: Device or resource busy (it should be readable by the user.)
Playing E6ROSTqm2KQ.flv.
TiVo file format detected.
MPEG: No audio stream found -> no sound.
MPEG: FATAL: EOF while searching for sequence header.
Video: Cannot read properties.
Opening audio decoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: init_audio_codec
Time=09:05:27
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
/Thu Dec 23-09:05:27# exit

But downloading with youtube-dl and playing with xine worked right away.

Hugo

I found youtube-dl but then noticed it wasn't installed on Lenny (at
least man youtube-dl  doesn't result in anything) and it didn't seem
to be in the synaptic list.....   Is it a new package that is a
squeeze addition?   There does seem to be squeeze deb package for it
in the debian repository web pages.......

There are other programs that can download YouTube videos: clive and
cclive (both in Debian), plus various FF / IW plugins (DownloadHelper
[not in Debian] is a famous and popular one).

Celejar