Re: Strange error message when compiling svn package

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> When compiling Mplayer svn with `make', I got the following:
> file.c:23:5: warning: "HAVE_MMAP" is not defined

This is a C macro.  If you were a C programmer this error would be
relatively easy to sort out.  Since you are having difficulty I
suggest that you shouldn't start trying to become a C programmer on
the mplayer program.  It is quite a bit more complicated than most.

Why not install mplayer directly?  No need to compile it.  This will
get you a working mplayer without needing to learn C programming.

  $ sudo apt-get install mplayer

Depending upon your needs you may desire the non-free components.
Because they are not free they cannot be part of Debian but they have
been kindly and excellently provided for years by Christian Marillat.
Please use a mirror to reduce the bandwidth.

  http://www.debian-multimedia.org/

If you must compile from scratch for whatever reason you can still
make use of the Debian package system.  Have it install the build
dependencies for you.

  $ sudo apt-get build-dep mplayer

That will pull in quite a few dependencies and should get you going
further than you are now.  (But installing the precompiled package is
easier.)

Bob