Re: External hdd changing device node mid-use

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 06:58:55AM +0200, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
> Thanks all. I tried toying with udev to create a persistent node name,
> but to no avail. The problem seem to be that the hdd is periodically
> disconnecting. By the time it has disconnected, it is too late. Md has
> already faulted the device. If anyone has any ideas about preventing the
> drive from disconnecting... I tried running sdparm in a cron job, as I
> read somewhere, but it didn't work. I suspect it is disconnecting by
> design, as this as an external usb-powered disk. It's model is LG HXD5
> 320GB if it helps.

It may be worth while checking your cable.  Try it with another
USB-cable.  I have had several bad cables in the past causing the drive
to be unmounted continually.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies                            Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder /  Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

     "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given:
      and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his
      name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty
      God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."
                                        Isaiah 9:6