Re: lenny squeeze etc etc

On 12/20/2010 20:45, Petrus Validus wrote:
On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 18:18 -0800, Jim Pazarena wrote:
what possessed the debian people to tack names on to the OS?
having actual version/release numbers seems so much clearer.
And there does appear to BE release numbers. So why promote the
goofy naming system which throws the novice?

Don't forget Apple's OS X:

Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, etc...

Or Microsoft with longhorn, blackcomb, mantis, and so on.

Heck, for that matter, Linus named one of the kernel releases something along the lines of 'rabid badger' (it was in the readme, wish I had kept it as I can't find any reference to it now).