Re: GRUB2 boot issue

On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 14:36 -0500, Tom H wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 12:26 PM, John Foster <jfoster81747@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Here's a new one for you GRUB2 gurus. I left my office attended by my 2 (5 &
> > 7 yr. old very curious) grandsons. When about 3 minutes later I returned, my
> > system ( which is a multiple boot of Debian Linux SID, Windows 7 Pro, &
> > Ubuntu 9,) had been rebooted form Windows7 to the GRUB2 rescue mode &
> > stalled there. I figure one of them pushed the soft reboot button &
> > restarted the system. Now I had it set to boot to Debian Linux
> > automatically, but as I recall the GRUB2 boot-loader had beside the previous
> > listed OS's, another load item on the menu. Which was GRUB2 rescue mode; Now
> > I have been unable to boot the system into anything except the rescue mode
> > The error message given is: GRUB can't find required file: x.updates. Now as
> > I,"m at work & not looking at the exact message returned, I may be off a bit
> > on the verbiage. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate a reply to me
> > directly as sometimes the filters get list replies.
>
> There's never any grub2 rescue mode entry; you must mean "recovery
> mode", which boots into single-user mode.
>
> This is the grub2 manual resolution:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#GRUB-only-offers-a-rescue-shell
>
> (By the way, your reply-to address is "John Foster"@liszt.debian.org
> rather than your sending address, jfoster81747@gmail.com.)

OK I read the link info & I do not think that an incorrect installation
is the issue. I used Super Grub2 disk to start my Debian Linux  mixed
Sid/squeeze installation & Linux works fine from there as I'm using it
to send this. exact message that I get when grub2 tries to boot the
computer is;

rescue> error: symbol not found: 'grub_xputs'

so the system has defaulted to drop me into the rescue mode as there is
a file needed for proper bootin, missing. I did try completely removing
all of the grub-common & everything with grub2 or grub in the name or
description, Then reinstalled everything. I still having the same
problem. & thanks Tom for the tip re e-mail; I have it set this way so I
will get my mail regardless of whether or not I get a list feed. Thanks!