Re: Spontaneously aborting X startup during Linux boot process

Juan Ignacio Gaudio wrote:
> > I just need to be able to change to a console tty and restore the previous
> > xorg.conf. But as X starts automatically I can't manage to do that before X
> > crashes and I lose the keyboard again... do you know of a way of changing
> > the runlevel to just console (no X) or aborting X startup during Linux boot
> > process (some key combination or anything).
>
> I searched it and turned up to be pretty simple.
>
> It's just needed to append the runlevel number to the kernel line, something
> like this example:
>
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.30 root=/dev/sda2 ro 3

Note that the above isn't going to boot without X on a default Debian
Lenny system unless you have changed it.  By default on Debian all
runlevels are configured the same.  There isn't anything magical about
runlevel 2 or 3 or 4 or 5.  By default they are all the same.

You can as a local admin configure them to be different but unless you
have done so then booting runlevel 3 won't be any different than
booting the default runlevel 2.  X will start the same.

The traditional solution would be to boot single user mode with S or
'single' and make corrections from there.  Alternatively you can
disable gdm/kdm/xdm temporarily and then reboot to the full system
which will then be a text console.

Bob