From: Juan Ignacio Gaudio <jgaudio@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 12:06:31 +0100
Subject: Spontaneously aborting X startup during Linux boot process

Hello,

I broke my X (again) trying to install a graphics device driver on my Vostro 1000, so now I don't have video and the keyboard does not respond.

I just need to be able to change to a console tty and restore the previous xorg.conf. But as X starts automatically I can't manage to do that before X crashes and I lose the keyboard again... do you know of a way of changing the runlevel to just console (no X) or aborting X startup during Linux boot process (some key combination or anything).

I'm running Debian Lenny.

Thanks!