Re: Installing latest version of mediawiki & removing Lenny's mediawiki package

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 03:25:20PM -0800, Tech Geek wrote:
> I am using Debian Lenny on my AMD Anthlon X2 box. Currently I am using
> mediawiki version 1.12 that shipps with Lenny. However, I would like to
> upgrade to latest version of mediawiki 1.16 [1]. I know Debian backports has
> 1.15 but I want 1.16 (or whatever is the latest version).
>
> What is the best method to make this transition (from Debian mediawiki
> package 1.12 to the vanilla mediawiki 1.16) in Debian Lenny?

It is difficult to assess what is BEST depending on how much risk and
hassle you can take.

> Should I first uninstall the mediawiki package from the Debian Lenny and
> then follow the normal instructions from [1] to install the latest mediawiki
> assuming I am backing up my extensions, LocalSettings.php, image directory
> and any other mediawiki code file that I may have modified?

This can be 2nd highest risk path.  (One without back up is the worst.)

I do not think you need to uninstall debian package.  Installation via
tar.gz path usually installs under /usr/local so it usually do not collide
with Debian package as long as some services are properly turned off.
This is normally a path we used to take on small system.

The safer path is not to touch current set up and try any update
activity on a separate instance of machine with a copy of your current
system.  Having another system for testing such things used to be luxury
for most of us but it is getting not-so-expensive option using virtual
machines or just by buying another cheap machine for experiment.  These
are safer.