Re: User stylesheets with mozilla browsers

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 12:27:55PM EST, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 10:56:08 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> > Is there any way I could use a custom stylesheet to make my web browser
> > rearrange text in two or more columns so I don't get my eyes crossed
> > when I'm reading?
> >
> > Come to think of it, a web browser with vertical vim-style vertical
> > splits, where you could display the contents of 2-3 tabs side by side
> > would be nice.
>
> You can avoid loading CSS at all (view/page layout/none).

How is that going to make the lines shorter?

Sorry if I was unclear but what I mean is that I am reading plain text
and with the small fonts I favor, the lines are so long on the new 1080p
screens that I often have problems keeping my eye level with them. So
I was thinking of reformatting these pages along the lines of what you
commonly see in newspapers.

Take for instance:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod
tempor incididunt  ut labore  et dolore magna  aliqua. Ut enim  ad minim
veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco  laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea
commodo consequat. Duis  aute irure dolor in  reprehenderit in voluptate
velit  esse  cillum  dolore  eu fugiat  nulla  pariatur. Excepteur  sint
occaecat  cupidatat non  proident, sunt  in culpa  qui officia  deserunt
mollit anim id est laborum.

versus:

Lorem   ipsum   dolor  sit   amet,    consequat. Duis  aute irure  dolor
consectetur adipisicing  elit, sed    in   reprehenderit  in   voluptate
do  eiusmod  tempor incididunt  ut    velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat
labore et  dolore magna aliqua. Ut    nulla   pariatur. Excepteur   sint
enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud    occaecat  cupidatat non  proident,
exercitation ullamco  laboris nisi    sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt
ut    aliquip   ex   ea    commodo    mollit anim id est laborum.

Not very useful here, since the lines in my MUA are limited to 72
columns and obviously the justification does not play well with a fixed
width font, but hopefully the above example will clarify.

> But maybe you are more interested in something like this add-on:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2108/

I installed the ‘Stylish’ addon, and hunted down a couple of ‘user
styles’ that looked like they might do what I want.. It turned out they
did not do anything that I could see.

I know next to nothing about web browser technology, so it may very well
be that I what I had in mind is not possible. :-(

Thanks,

cj