Re: User stylesheets with mozilla browsers

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:01:52 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 12:27:55PM EST, Camaleón wrote:

>> You can avoid loading CSS at all (view/page layout/none).
>
> How is that going to make the lines shorter?

Not "shorter" but "easy-reading".

When removing style sheets associated with a page, you get the plain
text, bigger text letters, no background colours, etc...

> Sorry if I was unclear but what I mean is that I am reading plain text
> and with the small fonts I favor, the lines are so long on the new 1080p
> screens that I often have problems keeping my eye level with them. So I
> was thinking of reformatting these pages along the lines of what you
> commonly see in newspapers.

(...)

Yes, I know what you wanted, just gave you an option that I knew: using
custom style sheets for pages. It is not a "click&run" solution as every
page uses differents layous and styles, so YMMV.

> Not very useful here, since the lines in my MUA are limited to 72
> columns and obviously the justification does not play well with a fixed
> width font, but hopefully the above example will clarify.

I get the two column format in perfect shape :-)

>> But maybe you are more interested in something like this add-on:
>>
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2108/
>>

> I installed the ‘Stylish’ addon, and hunted down a couple of ‘user
> styles’ that looked like they might do what I want.. It turned out they
> did not do anything that I could see.
>
> I know next to nothing about web browser technology, so it may very well
> be that I what I had in mind is not possible. :-(

You can use some custimozations (bigger text, no background images nor
underline links) but changing the whole site default layout for each site
on-the-fly is not something that can be 100% automated ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón