Re: when does one change from testing to stable in sources.list

On 10-12-10 8:04 AM, Wolodja Wentland wrote:
Upgrading between releases is typically not just a simple
apt-get/aptitude upgrade (dist-,full-) run. The upgrade process and
things you have to consider when you upgrade are documented in the
release notes and it is a good idea to follow them, as there might be
substantial changes to the system that have to be taken care of.

When I upgraded from Etch to Lenny used those names explicitly in sources.list so the upgrade happened at a time of my choosing when I had time to fix any problems. But, I didn't read the release notes. I ended up with a broken exim configuration, and a warning message that was something like "It appears that you upgraded without following the release notes, here's what you should have done". I couldn't figure out how to fix the configuration, but fortunately removing and reinstalling exim solved the problem. Next time I think I'll read the release notes.

David