Re: Feedback needed: How to disable services at startup... and keep them so.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Javier Barroso <javibarroso@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 2010-12-07 17:21 +0100, Camaleón wrote:
>>

>>> A month ago, I disabled Network Manager service in my Squeeze system so
>>> it doesn't run on start up. I wanted to keep NM installed (just in case)
>>> but preferred to use the old "ifup" network setup method.
>>>
>>> So I issued "update-rc.d network-manager remove" and also disabled gnome
>>> NM applet from being started.
>>
>> You should use "update-rc.d network-manager disable" instead.  See
>> update-rc.d(8).
> I think update-rc.d manpage should then change example which Camaleon
> referenced in her solved post:
>
> Example of disabling a service:
>          update-rc.d -f foobar remove
>          update-rc.d foobar stop 20 2 3 4 5 .
> Should be
> Example of disabling a service:
>          update-rc.d foobar disable
>
> Shouldn't be ? (Is it a bug in manpage?)

It depends on which man page you're reading.

The "disable" option doesn't exist in the (online, no Lenny box at
hand) Lenny man page.

>From the Squeeze man page:

DISABLING INIT SCRIPT START LINKS
       When  run  with the disable [ S|2|3|4|5 ] options, update-rc.d modifies
       existing runlevel links for the  script  /etc/init.d/name  by  renaming
       start  links  to  stop  links  with  a  sequence  number  equal  to the
       difference of 100 minus the original sequence number.

       When run with the enable [ S|2|3|4|5 ]  options,  update-rc.d  modifies
       existing  runlevel  links  for  the script /etc/init.d/name by renaming
       stop links to start links with a sequence number equal to the  positive
       difference  of current sequence number minus 100, thus returning to the
       original sequence number that the script had been installed with before
       disabling it.

       Both  of these options only operate on start runlevel links of S, 2, 3,
       4 or 5. If no start runlevel is specified after the disable  or  enable
       keywords,  the  script  will  attempt to modify links in all start run-
       levels.