Re: Feedback needed: How to disable services at startup... and keep them so.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2010-12-07 17:21 +0100, Camaleón wrote:
>

>> A month ago, I disabled Network Manager service in my Squeeze system so
>> it doesn't run on start up. I wanted to keep NM installed (just in case)
>> but preferred to use the old "ifup" network setup method.
>>
>> So I issued "update-rc.d network-manager remove" and also disabled gnome
>> NM applet from being started.
>
> You should use "update-rc.d network-manager disable" instead.  See
> update-rc.d(8).
I think update-rc.d manpage should then change example which Camaleon
referenced in her solved post:

Example of disabling a service:
          update-rc.d -f foobar remove
          update-rc.d foobar stop 20 2 3 4 5 .
Should be
Example of disabling a service:
          update-rc.d foobar disable

Shouldn't be ? (Is it a bug in manpage?)

All other tricks (exit 0, chmod, s/S/K/) are not the Debian Way !

Regards,