Re: Debian 5 installation

El 2010-12-06 a las 08:33 -0000, Harry escribió:

(resending to the list)

> [...]

First, this mailing list does not require you to sign in order to read
and post messages. It is open, no subscription needed.

Second, you can post a message over http. In the event you cannot setup
an e-mail client (like Evolution or Mutt -the latter does not even need
a GUI-) you can go to Gmane and use their http gateway:

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user

Select the message you want to reply, click over the jump menu "followup",
and you're done. Not so difficult and very convenient when no MUA
available.

> You seem to believe in miracles: the xorg.conf controls the setting of the
> graphics card and that comes as a contrived piece of software using the term
> configured device. To automatically generate an xorg.conf file I had to
> download nvidia-xconfig or face manually changing it.

Again, I have not installed "nvidia-xconfig" app, it is an optional
step. And I did it manually. Google is plenty of sites describing the
lines you have to fill in xorg.conf for your VGA. Heck, even Debian wiki
tells you how to do it:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Modifyanexistingxorg.conf

> Since I don't know what drivers are installed that's my point about the
> "it's all automatic".

You installed "nvidia" driver (or so you said).

But if by "automatic" you mean that the system should have
auto-configured your "xorg.conf" to use the closed nvidia driver, that
will no happen. Is the user who has to manually set what driver wants to
use, at least for now.

> From a developer point of view he knows what's there
> but this idiot doesn't I'm afraid.

I'm not a developer. I'm a plain user, like you. And when I don't know
something, I search in Google or ask in mailing lists, like you. What I
fail to see is which of my words disgusted you.

> I have partially cured the driver problem but I need to fix the range since
> it's too great for the monitor and seems to  need changing each time I use
> it.

By range you mean "screen resolution" or "dpi"? Better if you upload a
snapshot to www.picpaste.com so we can see the problem.

> Before I do that I have to get sound from my c-media driver.

If you need advice, ask. But no need to be so picky when someone replies
to your messages. If do not understand something, just ask the user
what is he/she referring to >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón