Re: Debian 5 installation

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 12:36:20 +0000, Harry Scott wrote:

> I wanted help to install a nvidia legacy graphics driver for TNT 2  AGP
> so I thought to contact the user lists for guidance. This was not
> possible because:
> 1 When I tried to use evolution after asking permission (used windows
> mail to confirm) I couldn't move its window up to click on forward. The
> default vga video setting making the window too large.

You can post over http.

> 2 I thought,
> having read the installation instructions, Lenny would note that a
> nvidia driver was needed. Looking at the xorg.conf file it obviously
> couldn't. Configured device was all it said.

You don't need the nvidia driver, "nv" is the default and should work
just fine.

> 3 I read the Debian wiki
> after downloading appropriate driver from Nvidia. And downloaded
> nvidia-xconfig the missing piece of the puzzle. I think your help on the
> installation is ego-centric. Is it possible to get easier assistance?

Nothing in linux concerning closed source drivers is "easy" by definition
>:-)

I installed nvidia proprietary drivers by following Debian wiki steps:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

Just ensure you install the nvidia driver suitable for your card.

OTOH, I did not install "nvidia-xconfig" package, just edited my "/etc/
X11/xorg.file" to tell X server to load the nvidia driver instead the
open one:

***
Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"