Re: mdadm - cannot get array info

Matthias wrote:
> After replacing one drive with a bigger drive another drive in the raid
> raises an error:
>  lost page write due to I/O error on dm-1

That reads to me like a hardware disk failure.

> After rebooting I can -re-add the drive into the array but after 30 minutes
> the raid stops with the same error.

Install the S.M.A.R.T. tools.  You can read about smart here:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

And install the tools this way:

  sudo apt-get install smartmontools

Here are some example uses:

  $ sudo smartctl -I /dev/sda
  SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
  SMART support is: Enabled

If smart is available but disabled then you would need to enable it
before making use of it.

  $ sudo smartctl -s on /dev/sda

Then check the disk health status.

  $ sudo smartctl -H /dev/sda
  SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

You can manually run a selftest like this:

  $ sudo smartctl -t short /dev/sda

Then wait a couple of minutes for the test to complete and then
observe the results.

  $ sudo smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda

If the short test reports okay I would then run a long test.

              short - [SCSI] runs the "Background short" self-test.

              long  -  [ATA]  runs SMART Extended Self Test (tens of minutes).
              This is a longer and more thorough version  of  the  Short  Self
              Test  described above.  Note that this command can be given dur-
              ing normal system operation (unless run in captive  mode  -  see
              the '-C' option below).

I recommend setting up automatic regular selftests by configuring
smartmontools to run them regularly.

Hopefully your disk is okay and not reporting physical errors.  But if
so then that would explain your problem.  And reinforce why you are
using raid.  Because your system is still running.

Bob