Re: debian sled install failed

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 03:51:50 -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> I have drives on sleds here so as to be able to switch operating systems
> in and out when needed.  I think espeakup-amd64.iso was built with some
> version of debian squeeze and I tried to install it onto one of these
> drives and later hung the hard drive off of a usb port.  In both
> instances debian failed to detect the drive.  The drive isn't unuseable
> though since slackware has no problem finding it and installing on it
> either.  The archlinux also failed to detect the drive, so debian is in
> pretty good company.  I'll try later with a current version of fedora
> and see what happens there too.  The espeak iso's are netinstall disks
> if that helps too.

Not sure if I understood you correctly. Let's see... you are trying to
install Debian in a computer with a hard disk connected to "sleds" (I've
never heard from that English word before, but Google seems to suggest
it's like a hard disk case, similar to a caddy or tray) and the hard disk
is not being recognized neither when attached directly to the sled nor
when attached to an external USB case.

It's very strange Debian cannot detect the drive (is SATA, SCSI, IDE hard
disk?) unless you are using a hard disk controller pretty rare/uncommon
or your BIOS setup is using a RAID configuration.

If you can provide additional information on the computer you are trying
to install Debian that will give us more hints to guess what could be
happening :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón