debian sled install failed

I have drives on sleds here so as to be able to switch operating systems in and out when needed. I think espeakup-amd64.iso was built with some version of debian squeeze and I tried to install it onto one of these drives and later hung the hard drive off of a usb port. In both instances debian failed to detect the drive. The drive isn't unuseable though since slackware has no problem finding it and installing on it either. The archlinux also failed to detect the drive, so debian is in pretty good company. I'll try later with a current version of fedora and see what happens there too. The espeak iso's are netinstall disks if that helps too.